Monday, June 4, 2012

Cranberry Toasted Walnut Quinoa

Up until now we have really avoided quinoa.  Once, about 2 years ago, I tried making it for the family and was given a quick thumbs-down on my meal.  So, I mentioned that I was making it for dinner and the hubby was less than enthusiastic.  And then, once he had it, he had seconds.  I think I won him over...and me too!

This was super easy to make and it came out delicious.  It was similar to a pilaf, but with the quinoa and the walnuts, it made for a heartier meal.

I know my friends are out there saying, "I told you so!" and to them I say, "thank you."  It's great to have people telling you over and over how awesome something is until you finally listen.  I'm glad they didn't give up because I have lots more plans for that bag of quinoa I got from the grocery store today.  :)

Cranberry Toasted Walnut Quinoa

Ingredients

  • 2 c cooked quinoa, cooked in vegetable broth for more flavor

  • 1/2 c dried cranberries

  • 1/4 cup of chopped toasted walnuts

  • 1 1/2 c cooked mixed vegetables; I used thai blend from Cascadian Farms.  Blanched, chopped spinach or kale could be used too.


Directions:

  1. Mix all ingredients together.  That's it.  Too easy!


I love recipes like this because it reaffirms that quick doesn't have to mean unhealthy.  Cooking all of the separate ingredients and then mixing together probably took about 20 minutes and while we were waiting, we had a nice salad.  It's about finding those foods that work well for your body, your budget and your time!  They're out there!  Just be open to them, like we were open to quinoa.  We got the reward of a healthy, tasty supper...what's your reward?

Enjoy!

Sheri

 

1 comment:

  1. YAY! Quinoa is SO quick and easyand you can do a million things with it!!! It's LOADED with protein, too! My younger brother introduced me to it years ago in Montana. He was living a vegan lifestyle and this was one of his staples.

    ReplyDelete