Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Whole Wheat Bread Overhauled

When you make several loaves of bread a week sometimes it becomes old hat, just the same old, same old.  But, then, you see something that makes you want to do something different.  Just to see what happens.  That was what happened when Rachel from healthy.natural.easy.ish posted about her Whole Wheat Bread recipe.  With cream cheese and orange juice in the mix I just had to try it but how?  Cream cheese is is NO way vegan.  And not really something I use much anymore anyway so I brainstormed with and without Rachel about some sub ideas.  I had settled on soy yogurt but last night I had a portrait session and a 5 mile run scheduled and did NOT make time to get to the store.  So, as I was laying in bed this morning going through my "to-do" list, I remembered I had tofu in the fridge.  I wondered....I thought....I decided.  Tofu it was. I love tofu.  A lot.  So it makes sense to throw it into the mix whenever I can!  The versatility is amazing.

After a few delays (I had to actually grind some wheat first) I set to work.  I subbed the cream cheese for some crumbled firm tofu and I added about 1 tablespoon of gluten, just because my wheat was so fresh and I knew it might need some help.  I was rewarded with a seriously awesome whole wheat bread.  I know the hubby is going to love it and the boy might even like it too!



I couldn't wait to try this bread.  The crust was super soft right out of the oven, and my usual recipe is very crusty and softens as it cools.  This recipe might just be my new favorite whole wheat bread!! I think it would make some super soft rolls too!

If you get a chance, check out healthy.natural.easy.ish and tell Rachel that Homemade Served Here sent you!  :)  She has some awesome recipes over there and it's one of my favorite places to visit!

Sheri

 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete