Monday, August 6, 2012

Chocolate & Bananas = Delicious

Inspiration can take so many forms.  You never quite know where or when it will happen next.  Like when it hit me at snacktime today, for instance.  Who knew that my simple act of cutting up bananas to add to the the daycare kiddo's pudding treat would cause my fingers to be covered in chocolate for the next half hour.  I should have seen it coming but I doubt I would have stopped myself anyway so what does it matter.  All that really matters is how freakin' amazing our little treat was.  I know, I've seen several other blogs have dipped bananas in chocolate but I just wasn't motivated enough to actually make them.  What did motivate me?  My love of those half bananas dipped in chocolate that I am addicted to from the grocery store.  I try and convince myself my habit is okay.  I mean it is a banana...not some weird lab created concotion.  And it's dipped in chocolate.  Again, I know what chocolate is.  But, I thought, why keep buying it when you can make it and then I know it's real food made with organic ingredients and no extra stuff added in.

So, I set to work.  I melted some dark, almost completely bitter (yum!) chocolate and then I dabbed a bit of organic peanut butter on top of each banana slice and gingerly dipped it in the melted chocolate.  I used my silicone muffin cups to contain the banana slices while they set in the freezer.  I made some without peanut butter too but where is the fun in that???



For the record, I had to try it.  Just to make sure it was, you know, suitable for consumption.  That will be the story I will be sticking to.  I was generous enough to basically shove one of these down the hubby's throat when he woke up.  :)  He seemed to like it but I don't think I gave him much option.



And, then, just for good measure, I made a few more of those yummy almond butter patties from my Queen of Quinoa adventures last week.  They were still delicious as could be.  I will need more almond butter.  That is a definite.  Good thing I'm headed to the store tonight because we are all out.  I don't know where it possibly would have gone.  I just know we need more.

I will say that these banana chocolates are one of the most delicious treats I've made in awhile.  There is just something about that chocolate and banana combo for me.  And the fact that they're frozen just makes it taste like an ice cream pop...sorta like those really, really crazy creamy ones that Dove makes?  But without all that fat and chemicals.  :)

 

So, these are on the must make again and soon list now.  Can you blame me?

Now, before you go thinking I've gone off the deep end here and there's not healthy stuff going on (if bananas enrobed in chocolate is not healthy enough for you) I also did some canning at naptime.  First time my beautiful canner has been out this year...just seeing it steaming away makes me happy.



Seeing what comes out of the canner makes me even happier!  3 jars of tomatoes and 1 jar of pickled beets.  Now, if we could just slow down eating everything out of the garden as soon as it comes out of the garden, maybe I could get some more canning done!



I think the canning balances making the chocolate...don't you?  I also roasted some of the most beautiful beets...I should have snapped a picture of them.  Freshly roasted and peeled beets have one of the most beautiful colors of any vegetable I think.  Not to mention I have to pull myself away from stuffing my face with them.

I hope you enjoyed our canning and chocolate adventures!

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment