Thursday, August 30, 2012

Chocolate, uh, Dessert?

Okay, so I don't know what to call these, but they are good!  They'd work as a dessert - which is how we had them- or I imagine as a snack, or even the protein component of an otherwise healthy meal.  Chocolate as a meal.  Now there is a thought to consider!  But, before I get around to sharing my dessert, I have to tell you a funny story about dinner...

I don't know about you, but sometimes when I get done working, I'm tired.  The kind of "want to plop on the couch and just rest for hours watching tv" kind of tired.  Dragging my butt out to run, bike or even to make dinner becomes a supreme chore on those days.  It's like the last kid leaves the house for the evening and I become a pile of useless mush.  And just as I sit to relax, the inevitable question comes out of the hubby's mouth, "What's for dinner?"  More often than not, I have a plan, but on those days when I am a pile of mush without a plan, I am not too ashamed to admit it's often a pb&j night, or even worse, a run out to pick up burritos.  This night was one of those nights.  I was a pile of mush with no plan.  And we'd just had pb&j so that was out, and I really, really didn't feel like driving to get burritos.  I tried a few ploys to get the hubby to take me out but he's been sick and wasn't really on board.  I know he would have taken me, but that just felt selfish, so I decided we'd do veggie fajitas.  Or...even better...pineapple veggie fajitas.  One problem.  We were out of tortilla shells.  I figured the couple of mile drive to the store was better than an across town burrito run and hopped in the car.

While I was there, I considered getting a fresh pineapple but thought it would be easier to just use the pineapple I had frozen up a few months ago.  Bad choice.  Once I got home and started prepping the veggies I discovered we had no pineapple.  None.  Insert a huge sigh here because that's how I felt.   But what did I have...?  Pineapple frozen fruit bars.  And, yes, I did add a popsicle to my veggie fajita mix.  And, yes, it worked and tasted great.  I wouldn't recommend it as a replacement for the taste of fresh pineapple being sauteed with the peppers and onions but it did in a pinch and saved dinner.  Yeah, that was a bit dramatic, but that's how I felt.

So, after all that, what was the first thing out of the hubby's mouth after eating the fajitas???  Yep, he asked what was for dessert.  So, I headed out to the kitchen, tossed some peanut butter, cocoa powder, powdered sugar and chopped almonds and came up with this...



Now, as I was doing this "on the fly" so to speak I have no real recipe to share, but consider this inspiration to try something different and see what you can come up with.  I did chill the "dough" a bit because it was a little on the loose side while warm but it held it's shape better after 15 min in the fridge.  I had a few too many of these but I tried to justify it by telling myself it was a good protein punch.  Feel free to rationalize this way to yourself too!

Enjoy!
Sheri

1 comment: