Thursday, August 9, 2012

Vanilla Vegan Cupcakes

Dessert is a staple at our house.  We've tried to eliminate it only to have it creep back in when the sweet tooth strikes either me or the hubby so instead of getting rid of it, I try to plan for it and have healthier things in the house.  But I decided it was cake, and only cake, that would do for this dessert and I just had to figure it out.  Enter Post Punk Kitchen and her Vanilla Bean Cupcakes.  Did I mention the chocolate ganache yet?  Well, although the cupcake was amazing, the chocolate ganache was over the top!



I did make a few changes.  Instead of adding vanilla bean which I didn't have, I just upped the extract content a bit.  And I used dark chocolate in the ganache but everything else is exactly as the site's recipe describes.



I love when I make cake now and even though it has no eggs or dairy, it still has that perfect delicate crumb of a cake that does.  It's just a perfect surprise, even after a few months of making things like this.  :)  And I thought cake would be a thing of the past when we went vegan.  Whew!  So relieved!

And, just to prove that I did NOT lick the plate...although it was quite tempting!



 

This cupcake was the perfect ending after a wonderful veggie burrito from my favorite place, Mexitaly.  I wish I had been able to stop myself long enough to take a pic while it was whole , but this is HALF of their burritos.  It seriously is huge.  And delicious.  I only wish I could justify driving there more often...but when we're running on that side of town it's a "must have" dinner.  And I'm super thankful that Greg never minds that I pick up our dinner usually sweaty, smelly and sometimes even muddy and dirty after running.  :)



That was our hot night last night...a super sweaty and humid trail trail run with some friends.  I was a bit "off" and only did 5 miles, and the hubby did over 7 and most of that was super hilly.  I am in awe of that guy.  He is a crazy runner!  I wish I could keep up. But my 5 mile run earned me a burrito and a cupcake guilt-free so it was well worth it!

How did you spend your evening?

No comments:

Post a Comment