Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake

Just because I am so in love with the new camera, you're being treated to all kinds of goodies that occur often in my kitchen, but I rarely get the chance to photograph, let alone post about.  One of those things is Strawberry Shortcake.  We eat this year round and it is one of hubby's favorite desserts and I love making it.  It's easy to make and I usually have the ingredients on hand.  I actually recruited hubby to photograph the entire cooking session for you so here it goes...

First of all mix all of the dry ingredients together and cut in the butter and shortening until it looks like this:

Then, mix in the milk: 
Drop onto an ungreased cookie sheet, or I use parchment paper.  You can make them as large or as small as you like, we like ours larger.  


After baking, I usually pile them high with sliced strawberries and fresh whipped cream while they're still hot from the oven.  Sometimes, I'll forgo the fruit and cream and just eat the shortcake soaked in vanilla almond milk.  Very yummy no matter how you eat it.


Shortcake Recipe
Adapted from Alton Brown - Food Network

2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons shortening
1 1/4 cup milk

    Heat oven 375 degrees.
    In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Cut in butter and shortening. Mix in milk. Drop by large spoonfuls onto a baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.  Serve warm or let cool.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment