Friday, December 2, 2011

I can't believe I've never mentioned our obsession with waffles...

As I went to write this morning, I didn't want to be redundant and post a waffle recipe that I'd already posted so I looked.  I was amazed when I realized that I never have before.  Shocked is a better word.  We are waffle people here.  The daycare kids are waffle people, too.  We are such waffle people that we have burned through several waffle makers in our home over the past 2 years.  Our sole Black Friday purchase was a Cuisinart Griddler from Lowe's (69.95!) and we bought waffle plates for it from Amazon because our newest waffle maker was about to die too.  So, this morning hubby and I got to give it it's first run through...

See our batter waiting patiently for the Griddler to heat up?


We weren't disappointed.  We expected that a do-it-all machine wouldn't have the outside crisp of a true wafflemaker, and it didn't as much as we liked but it makes 4 good sized waffles per turn - as opposed to the one round of each of our past waffle makers.  When you have six kids hungrily waiting for breakfast - that's a HUGE plus!!! 
Good surface coverage!    

While hubby was making the waffles (almost always his job...pancakes too.) I got our toppings together.  Fresh whipped cream...

Waffles aren't waffles without whipped cream!  :)

And then I got strawberries for him, blueberries for me.  Just to be different I guess.  We usually have just strawberries.  So, are you anxious to see the finished product?

I'll wait as you finish drooling...







All better yet?





They were some pretty good waffles for versatile machine.  We made paninis on it too but nothing spectacular.  I'm hoping to try some cuban paninis on it today and see how it goes.

Now, I'm off to clean up the mess. But I'll leave you with a final pic and a recipe.  Good morning!!



I took this recipe from my tried and true Betty Crocker red cookbook.  I love that cookbook for the basics.  We've tried lots of recipes but this one is always consistent, I've always got the ingredients on hand and it is my go-to waffle recipe!

Betty Crocker Waffles
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup of melted margarine or butter, or 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1-3/4 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Beat eggs until flully. Add in the rest of the ingredients and combine until smooth, but don't over mix. Pour batter into waffle iron, I usually do it at 350. Bake according to manufacturer directions or until steam stops, about 5 minutes.

I think it says it makes 15 4 inch waffles but we got 12 out of our maker this morning.  It does make a lot though, and it is easily scaled back if needed.  

5 comments:

  1. I'm a huge waffle lover as well. For years I used my great grandmother's waffle iron and it made the best waffles. I was so sad when it finally broke, but we quickly found another that worked "almost" as good, but not quite. It does provide those crispy edges though. Your waffles with the fresh fruit topping and whipped cream look absolutely delicious! Would love to dig my fork into one of them right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fellow waffle lover! Awesome!! Thanks for stopping in. We were sad when our first waffle maker broke because it was a wonderful maker - but this one's not bad so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made and ate about 8 waffles today. I understand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I'm not alone! No intervention required. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] special here about the waffle recipe.  Just my usual recipe…  But the topping?  Super easy, no crazy ingredients, just [...]

    ReplyDelete