Monday, December 26, 2011

Lovely Shrimp Salad Sandwiches


I love this time of year because shrimp is on sale everywhere.  I don't know who decided that New Year's was a time for shrimp but I thank them.  A lot.  I have several bags in the freezer, and finally had a chance to make some last night.  I don't steam our shrimp, I prefer to do a shrimp boil with apple cider vinegar and Old Bay ( I am a Eastern Shore Maryland girl at heart, after all) and boil the shrimp until they're just pink.  Then, I let them rest overnight before peeling them.  It is easier to peel them warm but it's just they way I've always done it and I think they don't get as tough that way.  Sometimes we just eat them smothered in cocktail sauce, but one of our favorites in this house is shrimp salad.  I have changed my recipe quite a bit over the years to be healthier.  I started out with an old bay seasoned sort of mayo, but now it's more cocktail sauce and less mayo but all delicious!  I don't follow a set recipe, just mix it all together until the color looks right.  The shrimp are already fairly seasoned from being boiled in old bay, so if you're using unseasoned shrimp, please remember to salt and season to taste, either with Old Bay or a pepper blend.  I bought club rolls because I am a bit under the weather and not up to making bread but the beautiful lettuce blend and the creamy shrimp salad more than made up for it.  And having a few shrimp left over to eat dunked in cocktail sauce completed the meal!  Just a light supper after a bigger lunch out, so it was perfect. 

Let me also say that the new camera has been fantastic!  I am having fun playing with my photos and hope that everyone reading this is also enjoying the new detail.  I am just so excited to take pictures to share with all of you!

4 comments:

  1. Sheri...I love shrimp and just don't know why I don't eat more of it throughout the year. So I guess that's why eating it around the holidays makes it feel so special! Your shrimp salad sounds wonderful! I might have to try this for dinner one night this week! Hope you feel better soon so you can have more fun playing with your new camera! How awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Anne! I am starting to feel better so hopefully lots of camera playing time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love shrimp. Looking at your photo made me hungry. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Christine! I wish I had a sandwich to offer you! :)

    ReplyDelete