Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Apple Turnovers...with a Yummy Twist!

Oh, man, am I going to have to run tonight...but it was so worth it!!  Look at those apple turnovers and tell me that you would be able to resist.  I was pretty impressed I held myself off at one.  
I've been baking on and off for the past few days trying to prep Christmas party goods as well as gifts, so the last thing I needed was another baking project but these ingredients just spoke to me this morning.  As I was moving from thing to thing this morning, I happened to think about how I've had a large amount of caramel sauce that hubby brought home from work in the cupboard, there's some peanut butter caramel spread I found at Harry & David's that I HAD to have and could be used up and some extra pie crust that never got used at Thanksgiving that I either need to freeze or use.  Add those three ingredients to some wonderful organic apples I found on sale 2 nights ago and you've got the above picture.  Total yumminess.  (I still love that word!)

And, really, compared to anything else that's been coming out of my kitchen lately, it was pretty simple and straightforward.  I just diced some apples, added in about two tablespoons of the peanut butter and one tablespoon of the caramel and microwaved all of it for about a minute.  Then I cut the pie crust into pie wedged shapes, I was hoping for an inside out sort of pie effect, and put the filling inside the two wedges, crimping the edges.  See, simple.  I baked it at 350 since I already had some cupcakes in the oven at that temp and just watched them closely.  I would have preferred 325 but the 350 didn't seem to cook them too quickly.  Once they were golden brown, I took them out, let them cool slightly and then drizzled some warmed caramel sauce on top.  They would be pretty heavenly with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.  





 A nice treat on another dreary day around here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment