Saturday, December 17, 2011

Brownie Craving Satisfied

I'm only about two days late in posting this...but I hope you'll forgive me.  It's been busy!  Friday night I decided I wanted to make something decadent for dessert, but not so all out decadent that I gained 5 lbs just looking at it.  So, I settled on brownies.  Hubby usually prefers molten lava cakes - in fact we have them at least once per week.  But, sometimes, you just want something different.

Now, brownies usually fall into the category of muffins for me.  I cheer when they're successful, but more often than not, I'm disappointed in the result.  I just can't seem to find that balance of fluffy and dense that makes it just perfect.  My brownies this time were a bit on the fluffier side but still one of my best efforts to date.  I'd much rather make a cake...or cupcakes...or bread.  Those are like old reliable for me.  Always consistent.  Always as expected.

But, the brownies really did hit the spot...even if the denseness of the brownie was missing.  Hubby liked eating the batter which had a good flavor, and that's his favorite part anyway.  I think I could make batches of batter, freeze it and take it out and thaw it for him when a craving hits and he'd be good with that!

So, I actually have a recipe...

Peanut Butter Cocoa Brownies
(based on Betty Crocker's Cocoa Brownies)

3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
2/3 cup all-purpose or unbleached flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup chocolate chips (Microwaved for about 30 seconds - so some are melted, some are not)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream sugar and margarine, then add vanilla and eggs. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread in greased 8-inch square pan. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool and cut in squares.

Next time, I will cut the eggs to 1 and up the butter to 3/4 cup and I think I will get the fudgier texture I'm looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment