Sunday, November 20, 2011

With Love to Grandma

I spent the day with my Grandma yesterday, saying my goodbyes and sharing memories with family.  Like so many people, I loved heading to Grandma's for a visit when I was a kid.  She is so easy-going and laid back and it was a child's dream to have that kind of love and support.  She fostered my love of the creative cooking - she let me run wild in her kitchen and I spent many nights creating all kinds of odd dishes to serve for breakfast.  And she always ate them.  Even when my cousins and I woke her up at 4 am to eat them because we just couldn't wait any longer to share them.  Like my Aunt Joyce said yesterday, "she was usually up for just about anything."  She carted us grandkids around, hauling pets, kids, friends, toys, etc...anything you "had" to have for a visit!  Once I got punished when I was about 13, and I felt like the world had come to an end and I'd never survive...and then I got a card from my Grandma.  I've never forgotten it.  It had Maxine in it from Hallmark, and it said on the front, "I find when I get upset, a nice bubble bath helps" and on the inside it said "I've been in here since last week."  It reminded me that her love was always there, even when I screwed up. Something I needed to hear pretty badly at that moment.

As I grew up, her love and support never ceased.  She was the one person in my family to stand by me when times got tough - even when I was the reason they were tough.  She always told me what she thought, and she never pulled any punches, but she always tempered it with love.  She was a gift, a treasure.

This morning I woke up with a million memories swirling around in my head.  I know her time is short and because she is over an hour away, visiting her takes a big chunk out of a busy life so I'm not sure I'll have another chance to see her before her time comes.  I hope I do, but if I don't, I know that she knows I love her just as much and just as unconditionally as she has always shown love to me.  I didn't want to leave her last night but my comfort came in knowing that she knew that too.  I love her more than I could ever express into words, in thoughts, in any way.  I just adore that woman!!

So, with those thoughts and memories, I decided to bake.  And I made cinnamon rolls.  I know how much she loved my cooking and baking so these were made in honor of her love that helped mold me into who I am today.  I know that her love will live on in me, and that when the time comes I will be that Grandma.

I love you, Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment