Saturday, November 26, 2011

A Week of Thanksgiving

This has been a busy week.  I don't mind busy but this was the kind of busy that occasionally sent me into a "need a nap now" mode and that doesn't happen often.  The emotional drain of losing my grandmother as well as the start of the holiday season just took it's toll on me.  But instead of allowing the stress to take over, I am instead going to spend time giving thanks for everything that I have in my life.  It's so easy to forget how much we have when the walls are crumbling around us.  It's the difference between standing still and moving forward when those moments happen.  Give thanks for every bit of positive in your life and it will be repaid. 

My list of thankfulness has to start with God.  I am beyond thankful and in awe that He has allowed me to have the life I do.  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, Philippians 4:13" is a verse that comes to mind often.   This life I get to lead is not because of me, it's in spite of me far too often.  God keeps letting me screw up and still keep moving forward despite my shortcomings. 

My husband is my rock.  He is the one person who knows me better that just about anyone else on this planet, and he still loves me.  I know he has to shake his head sometimes, just wondering what the heck he did to deserve my craziness.  But he keeps on keeping on, no matter what.  I am thankful for him and I thank God every day that he brought us together.

My children are my blessings.  I am trying hard to learn to be a "letting go" parent as they get older and let them find their path, tough as that is.  Being their mom has been an awesome responsibility and a blessing to be part of their lives.  The road isn't always an easy one, but their love makes it worth it.  

I am thankful for all of my family - my nieces and nephews, my siblings, my cousins, etc, etc.  I love having them around me, and I am blessed beyond measure to have them in my life.  Our circle keeps getting bigger and it's so wonderful.  I love seeing how they grow and change and where we're all headed in our lives.  I would be listing people all day individually, so please know that I love each of you and I am thankful to be part of your family. 

Child care is really more than my job, it is who I am and I am thankful for the opportunity to be a part of so many childrens' lives.  And, some of my best friends started out as parents of children in my care and that was an unexpected, but lovely, blessing.  The children keep me moving, keep me challenged and are unwavering in their childhood appreciation of the little things.  I learn a lot from them. 

"Friends are family you choose for yourself"  Ever heard that quote?  It's so true and I have the most wonderful, supportive extended family I could ever dream of having.  They support me when I'm down, the encourage me when I'm trying, they make me laugh when I'm crying and sometimes just sit and hold my hand.  My friends rock!

Food!  Don't worry, I won't forget the food.  The food is what brought this blog out of me.  I love writing and sometimes wish I had the time to do more of it, but this blog has allowed me to bring together my love of creating healthy, good food for my family and friends and write about it.  How wonderful is that?  I know I need to get back to some food posts - I really haven't forgotten that is the reason I'm here!

Last, but not least, I am thankful that I am a runner.  Being a runner has opened doors for me - physically, mentally and socially.  I've met great people through running who I now call friends!  I know I can accomplish so much more than I ever thought I could - races, bike rides, and the list will continue to grow because I took that first step almost 3 years ago.  Mentally, when life just gets to be too much, I head out for a run and lose myself in it.  Problems seem smaller and my place in this crazy world is restored for awhile as I hit the trails or the road.  It's all about that journey and I'm thankful to be on it.  

As I get older, I am learning to be more appreciative of all of the many facets of life.  No tomorrow is every guaranteed to us so live each day as if it could be your last and make sure that everyone around you knows how much you love them.  When my grandmother died on Friday, it was sad, but beyond the sadness was peace, joy and love.  Peace that she's in heaven singing in a choir of angels - she even spent her last days singing quietly to herself at times.  Joy that she is no longer in pain and her body is no longer broken by age, disease or sickness.  She is a radiant version of my spunky grandma from my childhood.  And love because she was love.  She gave love freely to all of us, telling us how much she loved us often.  She never held a grudge and was always in your corner.  Her love will live on in so many ways.   

No comments:

Post a Comment