Monday, November 14, 2011

Menu? What menu?

I am a planner.  And I tend toward the OCD side of the planning.  I obsess, I plan, I obsess some more...you get the picture.  So, as the daycare kids were coming in this morning they were asking "What's for breakfast?", this question is really only second to "What's for lunch?" on the repetition scale of my day. Throw in a few "he hit me" and "Miss Sheri" and you've got my day in a nutshell.  But I am getting sidetracked.  I head out to the side of refrigerator where I hang each week's menu only to discover....there's not a menu.  I completely, in my errand and cleaning crazed weekend to do a menu.  WHAT????  I FORGOT to do the menu.  I am seriously starting to consider whether the hit I took to the head while doing our night time trail run a few weeks back was worse than I thought.  I screwed up food recipes for my coffee party, I have no weekly menu, and don't even ask what happened to half of our pot of coffee today. It's just too painful to discuss. Oh, and even worse is my apple pie that somehow turned out looking more like applesauce pie.  What in the heck is going on around here?!?

So, I took a quick inventory of what I had on hand and declared english muffins and bananas today's breakfast winner.  Not inventive, not creative but on hand and ready in a few minutes.  I had gathered my senses a bit by lunch and we had homemade mac and cheese but dinner.  Well, I am scrambling in my head.  I am sure I'll have it figured out by the time we get there but it's hard to do my job and plan out anything that requires concentration so our actual menu for the remainder of the week won't be done until tonight.  The only free night I have this week.  Yep, I'll be doing more household chores after working all weekend to make sure our calendar was clear for this week.  And maybe I can find some semblance of sanity that allows me to return to cooking, planning and just in general being myself again.  Is that too much to ask???

Seriously though, all of the food has been edible and tasted good, just not how I pictured it.  The coffee overflowing was a fluke (I hope!), and I at least did some grocery shopping so there is food to work with in the house.  Just need that framework to avoid the call of the "take out monster" 

Enjoy the week...massive planning will be underway this weekend for my Thanksgiving feast. I was planning on it this week but it just doesn't look like it will happen.  And, for once, my OCD side is okay with that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment