Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Tale of a Bad Day of Baking

Baking is fun.  Baking is relaxing.  Baking is my refuge.

The above statements describe most days for me.  Today was not one of those days.  I hosted a coffee party tonight with a few friends and decided to make some treats to go along with our coffee tasting.  I wanted to branch out a bit because most of these friends have sampled my tried and true favorite recipes and I didn't want to make the same old thing.  And so, I decided, I would make some new recipes.  Maybe I'd find a new favorite?  Well, spoiler alert, I definitely did not find any new favorites.

On the menu...a chocolate sponge caked rolled around a cream cheese frosting, a lemon cookie bar and some cheddar cheese scones.  Sounds yummy, doesn't it? 

I had made plans to run in the afternoon at 1 pm, and also I took my son early to do one last practice run before his driver's license test next weekend, so there was a small window in the middle of those took obligations.  We returned home around 9 am so I had more than a few hours.  Well, the lemon bars crumbled apart taking them out of the pan, my sponge cake didn't turn out spongy at all and my cheddar cheese scones were okay but not very scone-like in appearance and a little bland in taste.  And it was 11 am now.  I ran to the store for some white chocolate, then back at home I mixed the lemon bar crumbs into some strawberry preserves to make cake balls, popped them in the freezer and set to work on making the chocolate roll's icing.  I melted the white chocolate, dipped the frozen cake ball mix in and let it harden.  I spread the icing on the chocolate cake and rolled it up as best I could and then set to work on the scones.  I thinly sliced apple and laid that on top of the scone and also added some shredded cheese.  I put those back in the oven and hoped that would help.

Once time for the party came, I was a wreck over the food.  I felt like it wasn't worth serving it, but I needed something out so I smiled and did it anyway.  And everyone seemed to like the food.  I don't have many bad days in the kitchen, but this was one of them.  Hopefully it will be the last one for awhile.  I am not sure if the rushing around caused it or if it was just the lack of experience with each recipe.  I may try again, but not all at once and not anytime soon.
Our coffee party spread - unattractive but still pretty yummy!


Of course now it's time to plan Thanksgiving...hopefully that is a good day of baking!

4 comments:

  1. Lemon bar cake balls sound really good! I might try that in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheri...I love a woman who thinks on her feet! I've never had luck with lemon bars but turning them into cakeballs was genius! I hate when I get into a spell of bad karma in the kitchen! I wish you many better baking days ahead! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! The cake balls actually turned out pretty yummy. Not how I planned it but still, it worked. I hope my bad kitchen karma is at an end. I didn't even cook dinner tonight, instead I made some summer rolls and called it a day. Sometimes you just have to know when to give it a rest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina - I think the strawberry preserves really were key to making it work and not be so overwhelming of just lemon and white chocolate. Having that sweeter fruit element really helped. I may try and perfect an actual cake ball recipe out of the whole experience.

    ReplyDelete