Sunday, September 16, 2012

Dutch Apple Baby is THE way to start a morning!

Yesterday, I did a trail run with some friends.  It was a 50K "fat ass" event, which means it's more informal than a regular race.  You're timed, but it's not a set up finish line, and you tell them how many miles you went.  It was two loops of 15.5 miles, and I did one of them.  I only got 15 miles though, so I think they were off on measurement a bit.  My friends did two loops.  They're crazy - but in a good way.  These trails were beautiful but a little more rugged than I'm used to running, so I am way proud of my accomplishment.  Because there was such a lag in finish times with different paces, mileage, etc, my stomach was a bit messed up the rest of the day.  On the way home, I stopped and picked up burritos from my fave, Mexitaly, thinking it would help  It tasted good as usual, but the rest of the evening I just didn't feel well.  I think I'm so used to eating something like that in the first hour or so after running, that my body was completely out of whack.  And there was no real food to be had at the event (only so many cookies, chips, etc, you can eat!) to make up for it. So I just kept drinking water, drank my green smoothie before bed, and hoped I'd wake up feeling better.

So, this morning, I woke up ravenous but feeling better!  I was ready to eat just about everything in sight.  Luckily, I stuck to my plan and made the dutch baby on the menu.  I was soooo ready to scrap it and and just scarf down some toast but this was more than worth the wait and my stomach is happy once again.



Isn't it gorgeous?  I know that if I'd left out the apples, it would have risen higher but the apples add that special something.  I mean, a pancake on it's own is still a delicious pancake, but this is a whole meal.  And I think the moistness of the apples gives the dutch baby a custardy kind of texture.  I love that.  So, the apples stay and I'll give up some height. Here's a glimpse into just how the pancake puffs away from the filling...





And, oh my goodness, this is a sight to see cooling on the stove!  I will confess, I didn't let it cool.  I was so freaking impatient to eat that I practically burned my tongue shoving the first piece into my mouth.  Yes.  I said first piece because there was NO way I was not having seconds.  And, when I'm done writing this, I just *may* head back for thirds.  Can you blame me?  Seriously?



So, get into your kitchen and start making a dutch baby!!  Whether or not you add apples is up to you.  I am thinking next time I might even toss some toasted walnuts in there.  That would be AMAZING!  I love versatile recipes like this.  The mad scientist in me feels free to run rampant and if something doesn't work, oh well, there's always some scones handy in the freezer.  :)

For my dutch baby, I used Alton Brown's  (love him!) Food Network recipe.

Only change was the apples.  Oh, and I used a fluted pie pan.  I do not yet own a cast iron skillet, but it's on the "to get" list.  Along with a new mixer since I gave my KA to my daughter.  That's love.  So, which will be first?  Probably the pans, since I use my Vitamix or food processor so much and the rest I do by hand lately.  We'll see.  Oh my, that was a segue!  Sorry.  Back to the apples.

I used about 2 cups of sliced apples with some cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on them and cooked them down on the stovetop.  Right before I poured the batter onto the heated pan and butter, I added the apples.  Then I poured the batter on top of it all.  I wish I'd snapped a pic of that!

I hope you all have a wonderful day!!

Sheri

 

No comments:

Post a Comment