Sunday, February 3, 2013

Squirrely Tail Twail Run Race Report

This morning I ran my third official trail half marathon.  It was held at Gifford Pinchot state park, which isn't too far from my house, and one of the places we do run fairly frequently.  Last year we missed this race because our whole household got hit with a nasty stomach virus so I was pretty excited to run it this year. Another bonus was that so many people we know were running it that it felt like just another run in the park.  Unfortunately, the hubby didn't get to run it this year either.  He got stuck working all weekend to help pay for our trip out west and while I appreciated his efforts tremendously, I felt bad for him that he wasn't able to run it.

My friend, Michele, and I were running this one together and I was super excited.  Usually on a trail race I end up alone at some point.  I don't mind being alone, but when you're tired, sore or whatever, being alone can sometimes be hard to manage.  You start focusing on the things that are hurting the worst and it's hard to talk yourself back up.  Having a friend to run with keeps both of you moving, one foot in front of the other and makes the miles and the time go faster.  Last weekend, we ran this course with the race director and I took a nasty fall not even a mile in.  I was determined that was not happening this time.  And it didn't.  Instead, I waited a full 5 miles before I got sideswiped by some ice on the trail and went down on the same knee I scraped and bruised up last week.  Sigh.  I got up, brushed myself off, and we set off again.  We were headed out on a decent pace after finishing up our mile or so on the horse trails.  Horse trails that are usually muddy but then flood and freeze are no joke to run on.  Your feet just ache from being twisted and pushed around the ruts from the horse's hooves.  Fun times for sure.

Michele and I were feeling pretty good running through the parts of the trail that are usually muddy and slippery and managing a decent pace.  Then, after being so, so careful across a bridge that is notoriously slippery in good weather, I took another tumble on the ground.  This fall was really the worse of the two.  It just knocked the wind out of me and beat up the opposite knee, not to mention the fact that my hip and upper thigh had come down hard on a root jutting out.  Ouch doesn't begin to describe what I was thinking.  After a few moments, I collected myself and we headed out again.  Last hill to climb felt really long and we talked each other up it, and then, before we knew it, we were out of the woods (literally) and running toward the finish.  Michele's husband and children were waiting to cheer us in!  That was a great feeling...actually we'd had so many cheerleaders at all the turns from volunteers.  It was a really well organized, and fun race.

I was glad when we rounded the last corner and saw the clock was 2:55 because Michele had really, really wanted to beat 3 hours.  And we did!  It was her first trail race and she did amazing.   We're doing another race together in May and I can't wait.

So, tonight I've been taking it easy on my body, letting my wounds heal a bit.  I'm all scraped up but I'm sure I'll be back to running in a day or two.  I made a simple potato hash for dinner with some kale added in and put an egg on top.  I haven't craved an egg in about a year so I must have really, really needed it.  Then, I made apple fritters for dessert.  Those were way too delicious but I figured a few fritters is probably okay every now and then.  Right?

Have a wonderful evening!

Sheri

2 comments: