Friday, February 22, 2013

Dessert is My Favorite Meal

So, I know, dessert is not *really* a meal.  But I love it as if it was.  I made some mini cheesecakes the other night and they were one of my most, most favorite things of all that I've created in awhile.  I think I say that a lot but I mean each and every time.  I promise I do.

1-005

Doesn't it look delicious??  And it was super easy.

Mini Apple Spice Cheesecake (makes 4 souffle cup sized)

First, be sure to soften your cream cheese.  I use the organic variety but you can use any kind you prefer.

Preheat the oven to 350

Ingredients for crust and topping:

  • 1 cup ap flour

  • 1/2 c sugar

  • 3/4 tsp five spice powder

  • 1/2 c quick oats

  • 1/4 c butter


Ingredients for filling:

  • 1 apple; cored, peeled and diced (microwave once diced for a minute to soften)

  • 8 oz softened cream cheese

  • 1/2 c sugar

  • 1 egg

  • 1/2 t vanilla


Directions

  1. Mix all dry ingredients for filling/crust and cut butter into mixture either with a pastry blender or with food processor

  2. Press half into 4 cups and set aside

  3. Mix sugar and cream cheese until fluffy.

  4. Add egg and vanilla and mix well.

  5. Divide filling between the 4 cups and top with cooked apples.

  6. Divide remaining crust mixture on top of the apples and filling and gently press down.

  7. Bake at 350 for about 18-20 minutes


These really did hit the spot on a very chilly evening.  I am enjoying finding all kinds of new small serving dessert recipes since it's usually me and the hubby at home in the evening.  If I make a whole cake, I'll eat a whole cake within a few days.  Not a good move.

The day I made these cheesecakes, I also got some exciting news.  I am going to be a grandmother for the first time.  My daughter and her fiancee are expecting a little one this fall.  I am over the moon with excitement.  I was already scoping out Grandma & Grandpa themed gifts...this is going to be one SPOILED grandbaby!  I'm secretly hoping for a girl, but I will love him or her no matter what.  I still can't believe that my baby girl is having a baby.  So, forgive me in advance if I just go on and on about baby stuff.  It's a little on the brain.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.  It's calling for some not so nice weather (glad I'm not doing my 50K) and the hubby and are trying to figure out what we're going to do all weekend.  I'm sure we'll find somewhere to run or hike...

Have a great day!

 

1 comment: