Sunday, February 17, 2013

Just an Update...

What a week.  I can't believe it's almost time to start another one already!

I've gotten all of the boy's college paperwork done and it just seems so final.  He's going to go away in a few months.  The time just goes so quickly.  He turns 18 next month and I don't think it seems possible that he was just my little boy, coming to cuddle up on my lap dressed like Steve from Blue's Clues, or a Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtle, or whatever was his favorite that week.  All those years can't possibly have flown by already.  But, indeed, they have.  Now I have a boy that towers about 6 inches above me and I barely know when he'll be here next between work and basketball.  In spite of my fears of how much I'll miss him, I am excited for him and all of the changes that lie ahead in his life.  So much excitement and he's so much better prepared for it all.  I hope that he knows so much more than I did when I left my parent's house!

Last week, I made a big decision not to run the Hashawa Hills 50k.  It was the right choice.  I felt a bit like I was wimping out but at the same time, I am trying to listen to my body more and to know what it needs above all else.  And I needed some rest.  My knees just healed up from all of my falls leading up to and during the Squirrely Tail Twail Half Marathon.  Add that to the cold forecast for next weekend and I just had to rethink it.  And, by withdrawing early, I gave someone a shot at moving up from the waiting list, so the decision had to be made.  It's funny that as I get older I become so sure of myself in some areas of my life, but in others I am just the same me I've always been...second guessing, wondering if this was the right choice, etc, etc and I have to admit that I feel pressure looking at the people around me and what I feel like their expectations of me are.  But, I am trying to keep in tune with the changes I wanted to keep in 2013.  Being more concerned about enjoying each run, and living through the life I want to be living are more important than what anyone else may think of me dropping out of the ultra, or even if I decide not to run one.  Ever.  I love running, I love working out and I love my life as is.  So I'm going to go with that for awhile and let everything else sort itself out.  Other people come and go, but I'm stuck with me.  :)

I did however sign up to do a color run with my friend, Michele, in May.  This is an untimed 5k run that seems to revolve around getting as covered in colored powder as possible.  Not my usual type of event but I'm in.  I am looking forward to it a lot!  I am so thankful for all of my wonderful running friends.  They have been the most awesome listeners, cheerleaders, therapists and coaches I could ever, ever ask for.  Running with my friends makes everything better!!  I do more than I think I can do, push my pace harder than I do alone and just all around am better at being me when I have time with them.  So thank you to all of you.  Big hugs.

Next week I am doing something extra super special and I cannot wait at all!!  It's my 41st birthday and I am going to Hershey Spa with my friends Lisa and Jess.  It has been years since I've been there and I am so excited that I've been counting the days since we made the appointments in January.  Being pampered and spending time with them will be an amazing way to spend a day.  Then I'm off for a long weekend with the hubby and we aren't sure what we're doing yet, but it will be nice to have a long weekend with him.  :)

Today we spent a few chilly hours out hiking with the dogs.  It was so cold my water bottle froze up!  But it was still a fun way to spend a few hours and it gave his knee a bit of a rest.  He's been on a running hiatus since Thursday and I don't know how much longer I can hold him off.  I took this weekend off of running and instead have been enjoying some yoga and some nice relaxation.  Yesterday was spent fighting a migraine most of the evening so rest was necessary.

And I've been cooking, cooking and even more cooking.  But I've not been taking pictures.  Hmm.  I'm sorry.  I do try and snap a shot with my phone and send to the facebook page as much as I can.  We had bananas foster type french toast this morning, followed by a pretzel stromboli for lunch/dinner.  I have to admit that's one of my new favorite meals.  I think this week is going to warm meals and soups because it has been so cold!  I can't wait for spring and all of the spring thaw and lettuces and early veggies that will soon be here.  I'm not sure how much planting I'll do beyond that since we won't be home so much of July.  I know that we'd lose a lot of things to weeds and dry conditions if we weren't here to manage them.  But we'll see.  I just hope we can get blueberries still.

So, what does your week look like...any new updates with any of you?  I'm off to make a chocolate cupcake with peanut butter filling for the hubby while he's napping before work.  Just for him.  Not me.  At all.  If you believe that... ;-)

Sheri

 

1 comment: