Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 is here...so where's my to-do list?

It is officially January 1, 2013. The New Year is here, and I am a bit unprepared because I still haven't set my goals for the coming year.  I mean, this is so unlike me that it's almost frightening.   I have no to-do list to get working on checking off and that is how I function...but I'm thinking my 2013 might not be dictated by a list for the first time ever.  I know that I planned to write a list, even promised it, so I am in a bit of a quandary.

On Sunday mornings, I like to watch In Touch with Dr. Charles Stanley.  I'm not sure if you've ever heard of him but I like his message, I like the way he delivers it and I feel closer to God when I am listening to him and reflecting on his thoughts for the days ahead.   This week's message was about Life Lessons with Dad, and his son was leading it.  It was wonderful.  It left me wishing I had been a better parent but thanking God that no matter what shortcomings I had, he was there to fill in the blanks.  But, the second half of the program was what struck me.  Him and his son were sitting down, discussing how In Touch had even come into existence and he was discussing setting goals, etc and he mentioned that all goals should be made to glorify God.  And I thought back over my 2012 goals.  Were they glorifying God, or me?  I didn't love the answer.  So, 2013 goals are being made with God in mind I'm sure the rest will take care of itself.

1. Get out of debt.  This is a carryover from 2012 but it wasn't a priority in 2012 until we learned that the hubby's eye condition required more of our attention and we started making changes to make our future easier.  We did trade two cars into one car, and have seriously cut our eating out budget, and trimmed lots of other areas that could stand some trimming.  I have faith that this is a goal that is made with God in mind and it will be our priority in 2013.

2. Go back to school.  I have been putting this off and putting this off and it's just time to do it.  Again, thinking of our future, I need to have a more solid degree.  I am exploring my options and I know that the right one will present itself.  Trusting our future to God doesn't mean that we don't forge ahead to make changes, it means we trust that the changes we're making are preparing our lives for the life God has in mind.

3. Run and run some more.  I hit 1000 miles this year.  It felt great to say that...I keep saying it to just about anyone who will listen to me.  :)  But that's me.  Of course, it's God who gave me the legs and the will to strive for more but in the end, I'm glorifying me.  That isn't the legacy I want to leave behind.  So I will keep running because it's on many of those long runs that I pray with God and feel the closest to him and I would never want to lose that.  We're not church goers but when I'm out there running on a beautiful crisp, sunny Sunday morning, I feel like I'm in church, and I sing hymns to him.   It's a special time.  So, rather then set mileage goals, race goals, etc, I just want to run.  And keep running.  And keep singing those hymns on those long Sunday runs.

4. Keep blogging.  When I started blogging, I really did think it might turn a profit someday.  Ha!  That's a funny one.  But I've learned that the profit is in the connections I make, the outlet for writing and sharing and all of the wonderful people that I get to talk to that share so many parts of my life in their own ways.  Blogging is a beautiful community of people and my goal for 2013 is to keep doing what I'm doing and make sure I'm always giving as much as I'm taking away.

5. Spend time with my family.  The hubby and I are blessed to be the parents of two beautiful kids.  And I want to be sure that I'm always doing all I can to keep our family together.  Our extended families aren't close and I want our little family to always have that.  We're so blessed with great family ties, and that is important to maintain.  And, if God can work out the details, maybe we could even be living near more family in the coming years. :)  But that's a goal that we're leaving completely up to him.

6. Remember to be thankful.  I get frustrated and want things to change, now, and sometimes forget that right were I am is a pretty awesome place.  I have a business that I love, friends that are completely awesome, food on my table and in my pantry,  family I love dearly and a husband who adores me.  There is much to be thankful for.  God has blessed our family and I hope that everything I do with what I've been given is a blessing to others.

Happy New Year to all of you!  God bless you!

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment