Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sausage Gravy over Biscuits - Vegetarian Style

Funny that yesterday I was talking on HSH's Facebook Page about what premixed ingredients were the hardest to give up and mentioned that mine had been Bisquick.  I stopped buying it about a year ago, and funny thing, I stopped making biscuits too.  I think I was always was scared of the process, of not having those same perfect drop biscuits that I loved from Bisquick.  However, about three months ago, the hubby mentioned that it had been awhile since I made biscuits...and when he mentions stuff like that, I listen.  And I usually make whatever it is he mentioned.  I set to work finding the right recipe and stumbled across this one for Baking Powder Biscuits.  And true to the easy part of the title, they were!   And I have to say, they were so much better than the old Bisquick ones I made.

So, biscuit part taken care of, I set to work creating a sausage type gravy minus the sausage.  That was always one of the hubby's favorite breakfasts, and I really, really wanted to find a way.  So, I used about 1/2 cup of tvp (textured vegetable protein) and mixed it with about the same amount of hot water.  I added 1 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of pepper, a dash of sage, thyme, garlic powder and a pinch of fennel seeds.  I added 1/4 cup of flour in a large saucepan, mixed it up well and added about 1 1/2 cups of milk.  I stirred until it was bubbling and thick and removed it from the heat.  This time (yes, I've tried before and it was way too bland) I got a big thumbs up from the hubby.  And I will agree that it was pretty tasty.   I was never much on sausage gravy but I'd eat this!

1-011

That is definitely the way to start a day!  Much heartier than my usual breakfast of Nature's Path Corn Puffs, honey and almond milk.  :)  Not that I'm giving that up anytime soon either!

So, this week started with the hubby being sick and leaving me wholly unmotivated.  I'm hoping that the crazy amount of cooking I've been doing lately means that I am getting back to normal.  I feel like I've been a bit out of my mind the past few months- just feeling a little overwhelmed.  I am still feeling a bit overwhelmed but feeling like I am finally feeling back up to the challenge.  That's a plus!

I hope that all of you are doing well and having a great week!

Sheri

1 comment: