Sunday, December 16, 2012

One more week to go!

And if you're anything like I am right now, things are hectic!!  Even though I'm done all my shopping, it seems like there is always one more thing to add to the to-do list and to the list of stuff I still need to buy.  It's like a never ending list.

So, I am trying extra hard to keep it homemade around here but we have been eating out more than usual just because time is at such a premium.  I know it's not an excuse but some days...well, I'll just leave it at that!

I did however manage to find a day to make a special meal for the hubby last week.  Homemade mushroom soup that he loved along side wild rice patties.  To start off the meal, I made a mixed greens salad topped with a little bit of goat cheese and roasted golden beets.  Delicious!!  I even made a special dessert..."oreo" truffles.  Of course, I didn't use oreos and substituted organic chocolate sandwich cookies.  A great end to a great meal.

[caption id="attachment_1376" align="aligncenter" width="800"] Started by rehydrating some dried mushrooms[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1377" align="aligncenter" width="800"] And this was after simmering all of it together...[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1378" align="aligncenter" width="800"] And I had to taste test it. Twice.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1379" align="aligncenter" width="513"] What's inside the truffle?[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1380" align="aligncenter" width="800"] What a tasty sight![/caption]

This was all done without recipes, just sort of whipping things together as I went along but I did try and keep track for all of you as best I could.

The mushroom soup came together by adding the broth from the mushrooms to a roux made of of butter and flour and then I added in some vegetable broth too so the mushroom wasn't completely overpowering.  I let it simmer about 5 minutes and whisked it smooth and added salt a bit of thyme.  Then I added the mushrooms and let it simmer about 5 minutes more.

I crushed the sandwich cookies and mixed them with a bit of softened cream cheese and rolled it into balls and froze them.  I then dipped them into melted dark chocolate and put them back in the freezer to harden.  Easy dessert, but looks much harder.

So, this is my proof that I'm still out there...cooking as well as running.  I still haven't hit the 1000 mark but I'm getting there....

Have a great week everyone!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment