Monday, December 17, 2012

Enchilada Sauce...Homemade!

I am not a big homemade sauce person.  Something about it just scares me.  But, lately, I have been venturing more and more into trying it and so far the results have been well received.  I have to send huge thanks to my Vitamix though.  It makes sauce making pretty simple.

So, I made a tortilla chip, cheese and enchilada type thing a few months ago and have been buying canned sauce to do it.  I decided tonight to try it myself.  And I'm happy.  :)

I found a recipe on Allrecipes and edited the heck out of it.  Took out the oil, added in canned tomatoes from garden in place of tomato sauce and even tweaked the spices.  And guess what?  It worked.

So here's the ingredient list I came up with:

  • 1/2 t garlic salt

  • 1/2 t onion powder

  • 2 T flour

  • 1 pint jar of canned tomatoes, or you could use sauce too

  • 2 heaping T of chili powder

  • 1 t salt

  • 1/2 t cumin


I blended all of that together and it looked like this...



and poured it over the organic corn chips.  Just like this...



Then I shredded a little organic cheddar cheese over top of it.



I put it in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes and out came this.



And that is a quick, easy and tasty dinner!

 

1 comment: