Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cream of Wheat Pancakes

So, this morning was Cream of Wheat pancakes.  One of my favorite breakfasts!  We had these at an IHOP years and years ago (Country Griddle Cakes they're called, I think) and fell in love with the texture.  I've played with recipes a lot getting it just so.  It had to be somewhat healthy, but still the same pancake and I think this is the best adaptation because we've been using for years now.

Cream of Wheat Pancakes


Dry:
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup cream of wheat, not prepared
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all dry ingredients together well, set aside.

Wet:
1 egg
1 1/2 cup milk, with 1 TB of white vinegar added ( buttermilk was originally called for but this lightens it up and I never seem to have buttermilk here, even when I put it on my grocery list!)
1/4 cup oil

Mix all wet ingredients together well and then mix into the dry ingredients. 

We use a griddle set at about 350 and cook each pancake for about 3 min per side.  Serve with whatever syrup, fruit or just plain too.   They're pretty great that way too because it is not a dry kind of pancake. 

In my house, hubby is the pancake/waffle cook and all I have to do is make the batters so these breakfasts are a nice treat all around.  He even does the same for the daycare morning meals.  The kids love it!

2 comments:

  1. hi Sheri, your pancakes sound delicious! I've never thought of cream of wheat for them, and it certainly is my favorite hot cereal! Thanks for the recipe!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really adds a nice texture to the pancakes. We LOVE pancakes in this house so I have many, many varieties that I make over the course of a month's time. Thanks for stopping by! :-)

    ReplyDelete