Saturday, June 15, 2013

Weekend Perfection

Yes, it is only Saturday.  Yes, there is one more day in this weekend and I am certainly NOT trying to rush it along....however....so far perfection is the best word I've got.  Yesterday I was just feeling blah.  Not like myself at all.  Actually, I'd been that way since Thursday.   It's been a bit of a rough feeling few days, alot of discussion about future, what-ifs, that sort of thing.  It tends to wear on a person, or in our case, both of us.  Having a chronic condition that will, in a matter of time, turn everything upside down is frustrating.  Most of the time, it's just there, in the background, and we go about our lives, but sometimes it just is right there, blocking the view of anything else and it has to be talked about.  And prayed about.  I know that God has a purpose for our lives and I know that wherever we're headed is HIs plan and I trust that, but it doesn't mean I don't sometimes ask why.

So, this was the attitude I went into the weekend with.  And, seriously, I was letting it really get to me by Friday evening.  So, we decided to head out to dinner.  Our favorite Mexican restaurant always does the trick and this was no exception.  We started looking at all the positives in our lives, focusing on all that God has done for us and trusting that He would see us through this too.  We came home and had ice cream and just watched a bit of TV before heading off to bed, knowing an early morning wake up awaited us.  We decided at dinner to do a long run/hike today.  And by long we mean really, really long.  I knew it was going to be at least 26 miles, so I chose the Appalachian Trail for my pick.  Some parts of the AT are really rocky, difficult to traverse, but a small section near our home isn't that bad.  So, at 5 am we headed out.

Early on, we ran a lot of the trail.  I rolled my ankle badly three miles in, but was able to stretch it out a bit and run it out.  Just about 10 miles brought a stop with a water refill, and a chance to eat a bit.  Then we headed up another almost four miles, climbing the mountain, hiking interspersed with running.  By the time we got almost to the mountain peak, I was hiking.  And then, coming back down was too loose of rock for decent footing, so we hiked it.  Once we got back on the nicer trail though, running felt so good.  I really love running.  It is just the best, most free feeling.  And that's not just the runner high talking!  By mile 22 though, we were dragging.  I had blisters and some serious foot swelling going on (that's what I get for opting for the old shoes) and hiking was necessary until we had a flat place to sit and I could put some body glide on the blisters to at least stop the rubbing.  And, as I stood up, ready to start running again?  A bee stung me.  You might be thinking, big deal, a bee, but I'm super sensitive to all stings.  Not allergic but they are very painful to me.  I felt a bit woozy, so we walked a bit and I was able to walk it out.  But mile 24 I was ready to run and I did.  I finished running at mile 27 when we found the car.  I dipped my feet in the creek running by the parking lot to help the swelling and we headed home.

To the average non-runner this might not sound like it is the definition of perfection.  But, for me and my hubby, it was.  We spent all day with no tv, no computers, just chatting and laughing and enjoying our time as a couple.  There really isn't much more on this earth that I would rather do and I am thankful I have a hubby who loves the outdoors (and me!) as much as he does.  I know I'm blessed, no matter what lies ahead.

As long as we can spend a day running and hiking together and count it as a good day, we're enjoying a pretty perfect life!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment