Monday, October 8, 2012

Looking Ahead...and Enjoying Some Pumpkin Muffins Along the Way

I don't know if I've ever dreaded and awaited another week more than this one.  There's a lot going on and a lot of it affects our future so profoundly that it's hard not to let it overwhelm me.  I don't know about you, but when I'm feeling overwhelmed, I like to do things that I can control...like cleaning, cooking, shopping, etc.  I guess it gives me back that sense of control that I feel like I'm losing.  Not that I'm ever in control.  It's an illusion because, in reality, God is in control and I trust his promises and know that he won't leave us.  So, even when I'm feeling lost and alone, he's still there, guiding my way.  So, for the next few days I am going to try my best to leave Him in control and not try to interfere.  Very, very hard for me but still.  :)

This morning, I decided to make some pumpkin muffins.  I mean, fall is HERE in full force!  The temps are dipping and the leaves are falling.  I am looking forward to those cool weather runs ahead but hoping that my marathon next month will be seasonal temps, not too cold.  This weekend's trail half marathon in Lynchburg, VA was great temps, maybe just a tinge on the warm side because I was sweating a bit too much.  Or maybe that was just me working my butt off...?  Hmmm...I don't know.  It was a rough course though.  My official time was 3:08 and I was pretty disappointed.  My last trail half was 2:47 and I was really, really hoping to shave a minute or two off of that.  But I made the mistake that will do in any runner...I went out too fast.  Way too fast.  I mean like running 9 minute miles up the first hill fast.  Let me put that in perspective by saying that I usually run 10:30 pace.  By mile 7 I was bonking hard.  I waited too long to use fizzy hydration tablet and by the last hill at mile 12, I was dying.  But, I made it, and I'm trying to be proud of that.  I did place 3rd in my age group, but that was due more to the fact that there were only 6 people in my age group.  I know that the trails and hills are building my muscles up and for that I am thankful but I am still trying to hold out hope for a sub 5 hour marathon on November and this run made me start to worry.  At least my marathon is mostly flat!  :)



Back to those muffins...I found a recipe for Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins from the Girl Who Ate Everything and it was perfect.  I was short 2 eggs because our farm delivery hasn't made it here yet this morning but it was fine with 2 eggs.  I also tweaked the spices because I thought 1 t of cloves was excessive.  It was perfect with just a few dashes of cloves in it's place.  I also did not have time to freeze the cream cheese mixture and it was great as it was too.



The daycare kids were excited for these muffins. and had seconds and even shared a third.  They love muffins and muffins with cream cheese in the middle and sugar on top are especially a treat.  I also had an ulterior motive for making these muffins because while we were off running the trails at Liberty University, our neighbors were helping out with the dogs.  And some of these delicious muffins will make their way over to their house as a thank you.  Don't you love when you bake for other people?  I love sharing things that I love, so it makes me happy. Hopefully they enjoy them!  We are lucky to have good people like them in our lives.

I hope you all have a wonderful crisp fall morning!

Enjoy,

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment