Monday, April 11, 2011

Starbucks Pumpkin Scones - AWESOME day 5 dough challenge recipe!

Okay, so I should be on day 6 and I didn't post day 5.  I am just all kinds of messed up after a busy weekend!  So, Saturday night I made baked doughnuts which were okay, but not fabulous.  I was so tired I barely snapped a pic and it's really not worth posting.  Then, on Sunday, Troy and I went on a 3.5 hour hike about an hour away and there was just not enough energy to make me make dough.  So, I gave myself a day off and came back with a bang.  This is one of my all time favorite, favorite treats.  I have never dared to make scones before because they just seemed so darn finicky!  Much like a biscuit which is another nemesis of mine.  So, I waited patiently for fall to arrive and upon every trip to Starbucks, I peered into the sweets case and hoped for one of these waiting for me.  Usually I was too late but on those days when I got one....well, I was in heaven.  It was a good time.  I have to force myself to wait long enough to eat it for my mocha to come.  I have issues.

But, when I came across this recipe...well, I had to try.  And I'm so glad I did.  They are perfect. So, without further adieu, here's the link Starbucks Pumpkin Scone Recipe and here are my changes...I didn't do the extra spice glaze.  I know it adds that extra zing but it also adds a lot of sugar and it's not needed.  I'd eat them with no glaze.  :-)  And I used squash, not pumpkin that I had put up in the freezer last fall because my pumpkin I thought I was thawing turned out to be sweet potato casserole.  Guess what we had with dinner tonight?  Luckily Troy was having pork chops so it kind of meshed well.  I was having an Amy's Vegetable Tofu pot pie and it didn't mesh nearly as well...but it was still yummy and made me think of Thanksgiving.  Put me in the mood for my scones all the more!!  In the glaze I used vanilla almond milk instead of milk.  Just seemed to fit better.  And I didn't use half and half, just regular skim milk.

So, here's how they turned out....all perfect and scone like.  The texture is amazing, probably from the whole wheat flour but it adds a nice chewiness.

Now, hopefully tomorrow I will FINALLY get to make either pasta or stromboli.  Both have been on the to-do list for the past week with no success of adding it to the completed list!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment