Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cranberry Brie Scones

Cranberry Brie Scones, Pumpkin Scones and Pumpkin Muffins.  All delicious!

So, this is a recipe I dreamed up a few months ago and finally think I found the right combination of ingredients that came together in just the right way.  My first attempt was much more muffin like, the second was too wet, but this time I think it was just right. 

Cranberry Brie Scones

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 T baking powder
1/4 t ground nutmeg
pinch of ground ginger
1/4 t salt
1/4 cold butter, chopped for incorporating into flour
1 cup dried cranberries
1/4 lb brie, cut into 1/4" cubes.  I remove the rind but whatever is your preference is fine.
1/4 cup sugar, for coating brie, not for including in recipe
3/4 cup of cream
1 egg


Heat oven to 350 degrees.  In large bowl, mix all dry ingredients (not the white sugar), and then using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture looks like crumbs.  This step can be done in the food processor with a pastry blade as well (my personal choice!)  Set aside and mix all cream and egg until well blended.  Toss the brie cubes in the sugar until coated,  set aside.  Mix the egg mixture into the dry ingredients.  Fold cranberries and brie cubes into mixture.  Form a round and cut into wedges.  Bake for about 20 minutes, about 15-20 minutes.  Put on cooling rack when done baking.   

These scones are truly amazing!  I love brie so much that I would eat it in just about anything, and I feel pretty similarly about scones.  Combining the two loves has been a fun experiment.  The brie just oozes enough from a hot scone to make it impossible for all of the scones to make it to cool, because I can't resist sampling.  Enjoy!

I should add that the above pumpkin muffins are from a recipe by Smitten Kitten that I have made several times and can't seem to screw up even though I am not a muffin person.  I ALWAYS mess them up somehow, someway.  It's nice when you find something that works so well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment