Saturday, March 27, 2010

Shrimp Tacos & My New Cornbread Creation

Ever since I tried the Shrimp Taco's at Chili's I've been working on recreating it, and trying to make it healthier in the process! I think I finally got it! I let the peeled shrimp soak in a marinade of buttermilk, some taco seasonings and then added in a bit of garlic for about 15 minutes or so. Then I gently sauteed until it was just pink. Perfection! I also tweaked my slaw recipe - no exact measurements to share but I used shredded cabbage and carrots, tossed in some diced jalapeno, sliced some tomatoes thinly, and coarsely chopped a bit of avocado. I tossed it in a bit of light ranch dressing and with a dash of cumin, salt, pepper and garlic powder and it was just right. I layered the slaw on top of the shrimp on a white corn tortilla and it was heavenly!! All of the flavors just popped in my mouth and I am just hoping I can recreate it the next time!

But the real showstopper tonight was the mini cornbread muffins I made...I had some time on my hands while my husband, Troy, was in the garage tinkering with his Jeep and thought I'd like to make some cornbread to accompany the tacos on tap for the evening.

And here is what I made...aren't they adorable? And yummy too! It's a basic cornbread recipe but with sugar in the raw instead of sugar, and just a touch more of it, buttermilk replacing the milk, and then on half of them I put a slice of jalapeno with just a pinch or two of cheese on top. The other half just got cheese because honestly, I'm a wimp when it comes to spices but my husband thinks the hotter the better! So, this is my compromise. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment